ho hum conundrums

Ramblings/Rants/Reviews/(w)Riteups...of an average Malaysian Chinese, made in Malaysia, born and bred in the Klang Valley.... WARNING: If you know you're not supposed to be here reading this blog, BUGGER OFF! *no reproduction of this blog is allowed unless permission is sought.tenchu *otherwise.. DISCLAIMER : PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS BLOG IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED. VIEWS HERE ARE SOLELY OF AUTHOR'S (errmm because I'M THE OWNER?) and mostly based on the mood when I write.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

lee-tel beet of heestori

I was reading babysiew's blogspot and was like thinking.... sniff!!!! wah lau eh... brought back memories of me paternal grandparents when she wrote that her grandpa is suffering from Stage 4 cancer.... so I told her I'd write about my set of grandparents lorrr....

My maternal grandparents passed away before I was born, Gong Gong ages before...EVen my Dad didn't get to see him. Po Po passed away around 2months before I was born. :(((
Mum will normally tell us about Po Po. seems my Gong Gong quite handsome, but I think I don't like him lor... Cos he very flirty and playboy type one. I haf no recollection of mum telling me whether he loves any of his grandkids. My Po Po was his first wife, and he had many many other flings that my Po Po tolerated. and then he brought back a second wife. My 2nd Po Po (we used to call her Po Po as well as my mom had taught us so) was a nice lady oso lar,we been visiting her since we were young... She passed on about coupla years back due to kidney failure or something like that.
Haaaaaaa... My Po Po (the one who passed away 2months before i wuz born) She was a gem. I mean... according to my mum lar.... very sweet.. I think my mum and her sisters worshipped her. serious!!! I ain't joking. A lot of times when mum wud reminisce about times when Po Po was alive, really really made me wished I was born like 20years before so that I could enjoy that grandmother-grand daughter relationship. Mom always says that my Po Po wud haf loved me to bits if she had lived longer.... *damn!!!* hahahaha!
yeah....
so that's my maternal set of grandparents......

My Paternal set of grandparents were still around til 90s.
My grandpa Gong Gong had a business in his hometown and so he worked really hard. So my grandma Ah Ma was always wif him lor... (Until somewhere in 1992 or something like that, she had a stroke. She was brought to KL to live wif us as Dad was the eldest son.)
We onli see them when we go back during school holidays and Chinese New Year, which is like... mebbe 3times a year.
Those were the days..........as I grow up, I really miss those times when we wud all travel and stuff like that
On the way back, I'd always ask Dad to teach us how to call Gong Gong to jiak p'ng (eat rice) or learn some simple Hokkien to converse wif him.Reach there, hardly got time to talk to him one. The only time you get a chance to talk to him is when you arrive, he's there to receive us. And then during makan times we'd call him Gong Gong chiak. (customary to call elders to eat) and after the meal offer him fruits. Gong Gong loved oranges.
He was a very very very hardworking man......

Things took a turn after Ah Ma had a stroke. She stayed a while back in hometown and you could see the softer side of my Gong Gong. He was soooooooooo sweet... He'd stay wif my Ah Ma during her meal times. Something really struck me and touched my heart man... You know wat he'll do???
He wud divide my Ah Ma's medicine.... Like if the med says one pill four times, he'd quarter it. and wrapped each portion of medicine in tissue paper...... *swoon!!!!!!!!!!!!* And he wud personally feed my Ah Ma her medicine EVERYDAY,PUNCTUALLY.
I was like........... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA SUCH A NICE MAN!!!!!! Forget about marrying a guy like my Dad... I wanna guy like my Gong Gong!!!!!!!!

After Ah Ma's condition deteriorated, she had to come to KL to stay wif us, we had to haf a nurse coming in to take care of her cos she couldn't really walk much. She'd be either in her bed or in the hall outside.
My heart wrecked to see her like tis, when while we were back in the hometown she wud always always take us out for a ride in the beca... a few of us wud tag along wif her.
I think Gong Gong's heart wrecked too, to send his beloved off far far away from him. Gong Gong would call (I can't remember how frequently) but he's call, and talk to Daddy and talk to Ah Ma for a while. He's that sweeet!!!!! ohmigosh.. U wud think olden times people wud not be like that... but seeing how he treated my Ah Ma... I tellyu...
Gong Gong wud make time to come up to KL to visit Ah Ma, not often, but say ... 3/4times a year lor.
Another side of Gong Gong was he always always made sure that Dad and his siblings had proper education. That was also one of his concerns. he wud work hard to make sure there was food on the table and enuff money to send his kids to skool.

That, was my Gong Gong....I wish I had known my Gong Gong better.......but then, that was not to be, in any case, things like this is very common, as when a person dies, there wud be things u ask... like... Wished I spent more time wif that person...
That's why I keep pestering my parents to visit Dad's aunt before ... she goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home